Monday, March 14, 2011

"A Family That Kicks Together, Sticks Together"......

Hello Family and Friends!
 
So many of you know my current status but let me update you all. On Wednesday I got my temporary reassignment to the Provo, Utah Mission and left to "come" here Friday morning at 9 a.m. which is really weird since I was only in the MTC for 2 weeks and 2 days and all of the rest of my district wasn't leaving until today, I'm pretty sure they were all really jealous of me. Anywho, so then on Thursday my visa information came through so I was able to apply for that online that day and then today I went into Salt Lake to do my fingerprinting appointment for it.  It said on one of the forms that they usually like to process them within 5-10 business days. So, we'll see. I could be leaving next week for England or it could take longer. Nobody knows, except for the Lord of course and the British Consolate in New York City. But that's all my visa information for you.
 
The mission here is going really well! Funny story- the mission president was going to assign me to the BYU campus because that's where most new missionaries go. But then he decided not to which is okay by me. I mean BYU campus is way too far gone anyway for me or any missionary to try to save, especially those Villa dwellers, there is no hope there... Anyway, I am serving in Linden (pretty close to London...) and Pleasant Grove. We cover four stakes with about 30ish wards in total. My trainer is Sister High from Calgary Alberta, Canada. And yes, she does say "aye". My other companion is Sister Finau from Western Samoa but unfortunately she is being transferred on Wednesday and we are getting a new sister. But I get along with them really well and we are doing a lot of teaching here. We teach a lot of children whose parents are less active and so they weren't baptized when they were 8. They are probably my favorite to teach. This one boy is 9 and he is autistic but he is so smart and the only reason he didn't get baptized when he was 8 was because he was afraid of water. But he has been taking swimming lessons and will probably get baptized by the end of the month.
 
Sunday was pretty crazy. I went to a stake correlation meeting, a ward council meeting, gave two talks, taught a combined YM/YW lesson and then went tracting and teaching for the rest of the day. It was really busy but really fun. You are probably wondering right now why we go tracting in Utah. Well, the sisters opened this area just 3 months ago because no one was really serving here (it was part of a really big area) so now we are just going around knocking on all the doors and trying to get to know everyone. A lot of the people are members but some are able to give us referrals and also people who are less active. There are also a surprisingly large amount of excommunicated members here as well. But they are always really nice and some of them are even willing to hear the lessons. We are actually teaching an excommunicated person tonight which should be interesting.
 
Anywho, I'm not really sure what else to tell you... Members feed us every night which is nice. At first I didn't have a bed but then they brought me one. Oh, my mission president's name is President Pitts, as in the plural of Brad Pitt. He is really nice and I am pretty sure he is like best friends with all the apostles because he always talks about them so off-handedly like, "Oh, I forgot to call Elder Ballard back." Who forgets to call Elder Ballard back? So yeah, he's pretty cool and really nice. Oh as for the subject - that is the slogan of the Royal West Martial Arts School in my area. I felt it really helped combine the ideas of fighting and family unity quite nicely so naturally I made it the subject if this email. 
 
So my mailing address is:
 
Sister Kathryn Smith
2520 North University Ave #100
Provo, Ut 84604
 
But don't feel obligated to write me. I mean I know you are all super busy with your lives and I'm just a mere memory to you so if you don't get around to it it's fine. I probably wont cry. Well, I love and miss you tons! Don't get into too much trouble while I'm here.
 
Love,
Sista Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment